Hooked on music: the economics of summer hits and its shortcomings

adminGeneral, How ToLeave a Comment

Content consumerism: the digital age economy. We are all consumers of content. Even if we don’t want it, it’s just all over the place to be ignored. Call it entertainment, advertisement, or what you want. That’s all it really is, content. Most of it it’s quite annoying and dull. None of us was ever delighted to see for the umpteenth time the Audi ad on a Youtube video. But that’s the way to get it for free. The idea is this: … Read More

That time that Michael Jackson played the ‘nasty publisher’ card on the Beatles.

adminGeneral, How ToLeave a Comment

Let’s talk about music publishers. They are the unknown, driving forces behind the music industry. One of the most famous music publishers is Sony / ATV Music. Their history  illustrates exactly why it is time for a direct connection between artist and fan. Here’s a behind the scenes story of how a Michael Jackson became the publisher of the Beatles and ruined a friendship between pop legends.  Music publishers for dummies Fundamentally, music publishers connect musicians to the outside world. … Read More

Drowning in the ocean of the music business: what to learn from the 1%

adminConnecting with fans, GeneralLeave a Comment

There’s quite a heated discussions over income inequality. The statistics are starting to become dazzling in terms of numbers, There’s big revenues and profits to be made, in almost every industry. The enabler of all this is technology. What is called “the second machine age” has permitted every industry to move money towards very few (the infamous 1%) and left the remaining 99% battling for a slice of the cake. The music landscape acts in the same exact way. Not … Read More

I’m sorry musicians, this is not gonna work out. Unless…

adminConnecting with fans, General2 Comments

Are you a musician? Act like you own a start-up. It’s the ultimate dilemma. You’re creative and have infinite ideas on how to push the music landscape to new horizons. However, faster drums, better melodies and vocal bravado don’t seem to get you very far, right? Well, maybe you should start thinking that you’re basically a start-up. Much like any start-up, your album is your product, your music is your vision and your fans are your customers. The best thing to … Read More

Spotify on Wall Street: are they the villains?

adminGeneralLeave a Comment

Streaming systems and record labels: let’s get the facts straight Do you remember that time when Taylor Swift was not on Spotify? Everybody was mad about it. The motivation behind it was that she figured that a lot of the agreements on streaming platforms undermined musicians over their royalties. The streaming platform gets some, the record label gets the other chunk (UMG made 4,5 million $ a day in 2017), and musicians are left with crumbles.  In fact, musician’s income … Read More

The 3 biggest music industry trends of 2018 identifiable after SXSW

adminGeneralLeave a Comment

Over the past two decades, the music industry has been rapidly developing. New music industry trends have been spawning everywhere. It is only 18 years ago (I know, time flies…)  since the launch of the first iPod and since then the way people listen to their music has changed immensely. Most of us now have more music at their disposal then they would ever be able to carry. Most Spotify users are now complaining that they can ‘only’ store 3333 … Read More

How you can shape and succeed in the future music

adminGeneral2 Comments

Succeeding in music is difficult. There are millions of artists these days with everyone trying their very best to stand out. Big name artists get most of the plays and big high cut labels dominate the charts. Spotify, Soundcloud and Bandcamp are all cramped with artists that make great music but are just never heard. Every single day more musicians join these services making it even more difficult to stand out. Hard work is required to make baby steps in … Read More